Monday, January 27, 2014

Round Robin

Installment 1: (Jacob Gibson)

Peter the OCD Poltergeist organized the silverware alphabetically and then by size. He couldn't help but straighten up after the disgusting college kids whose dorm he was forced to haunt.



Installment 2: (Mike Gordon)

But Peter the OCD Poltergeist didn't know that the silverware was haunted too! Glenda the Ghost moved it all back from whence it came: the girls dorm.




Installment 3: (Madeline Hall)

Long ago where the girls dorm lay was a grand castle. It was filled with riches of all sorts, including the precious silverware that Glenda cared for so much in life.


Installment 4: (Jon Hammond)

Glenda noticed the silverware patterns to be exact replicas of the tattoo on her ankle that she hid beneath her many styles of colored socks.


Installment 5: (Sam Hill)

The spinach was all that was left of the djinn. His laughter having subsided, the boy picked up the dirty spinach, threw it away, and went home to bed. 



"We've lost him. said the doctor, "He was disconnected too long." His family sobbed. The Twitter outage death toll climbed higher" This is a tiny story from the twitter page Very Short Story. I'm glad that you had us look at this twitter page as the only other tiny story I can think of is Ernest Hemingway's six word short story about the baby shoes for sale.

My only other tiny short story experience was when my older brother showed me a subreddit dedicated to writing two sentence horror stories. We brainstormed a few, becoming more and more impressed with the few that we had already seen posted, our best ideas turning out to be only mildly creepy with a hint of stupid.


The point is, I love telling stories, especially writing them into short stories, novellas, or full-length novels. But the idea of writing a story with a distinct beginning, middle, and end in under thirty words was definitely a challenge. It helped to be able to create images to go along with our stories, since imagery is half the battle. I really struggled with trying to make my installments stand out. I didn't want to just barf out the first story that came to my mind, so I usually tried to find one defining aspect from the installment before mine to really help me come up with ideas.

I will admit that the format of the project was the cause for some difficulty; confusion, problems with messaging through Learningsuite, and mixing up of installments definitely seemed to be a problem. I noticed that some of the installments I worked on had similar characters to other series, and I wondered if in our creative process, we all kind of blended our stories together. An interesting, if perhaps unintended consequence.

With a little tweaking, I think this exercise could be a fantastic group project. Already it was a lot of fun to see what people came up with, and to wonder what came before to cause such interesting story ideas.





No comments:

Post a Comment